ReviewsRUs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A good Three star review

Go down

A good Three star review Empty A good Three star review

Post by SRHowen Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Again this is from the same book of mine, I don't want to trash anyone else's

3.0 This is a prime example of a GOOD 3 star review, even if it is missing some points.out of 5 stars Interesting Read, May 17, 2013
By LAS Reviewer "The Long and the Short Of It Reviews
This review is from: The Chief of All Time (Medicine Man 1) (Kindle Edition)Amazon's auto insert of Name of book and author, the reviewer didn't put this in the review.

Depth of character and a complex plot make this book an intriguing read. Good, the reviewer says why they like the book.

I enjoyed watching as Shannon Running Deer is pushed outside his comfort zone. He's a practical man, a trauma surgeon, with a strong foundation in logic ... until things most illogical begin to happen to him. He reacts as most of us would, and I appreciated that he didn't respond without motivation. It made him a character I could enjoy and identify with. Again the reviewer says they enjoyed the book and why, and gives a little of the plot, but they could have summarized it a bit better. They tell the reader, okay this is what he did but really say nothing of the plot.

The author's way with words made some of this book nearly lyrical. I enjoyed her description and clear characterization. Her book was populated with real people, clear and believable. Good characters keep me reading, even when the plot slows. Again, what they liked, but really it only hints that maybe the plot is slow in places, but doesn't say anything about what the book was about.

This book has a little something for everyone: romance, mystery, paranormal and mystical aspects and more. While I wasn't mad about the heroine, at least not at first, and sometimes found myself confused as to what was real and what wasn't, I still enjoyed reading. This isn't your typical book...it's a little bit "more" and the depth was intriguing. Okay, so now we know they weren't crazy about the heroine, but we don't know why the reviewer wasn't.

If you're looking for a well-written book with ancient mysticism mixed with current times, peppered with visions and romance, I'd suggest Medicine Man I: The Chief of All Time. Ms. Howen has done a very good job with this one, and I'll happily select the next volume in the series to read. The reviewer says they like the book and they will read another, but they never really say why they gave it three stars, what kept it from going to the next level other than a few hints.

This is a good example of a good 3 star review, it lacks some depth that should be there, as noted, but the reviewer (and I spoke to them later when doing an interview) didn't understand a lot about the book and they  couldn't relate to the plot of the book, so they went with the mechanics that they liked and didn't trash it, because they recognized, and respected, that not every book is for every reader, they reviewed it based on its merit as a book, not as how they would have written it. It goes to respect your fellow writer.
SRHowen
SRHowen
Admin

http://www.srhowen.com

Back to top Go down